Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Book Report

Don't run away screaming! You don't have to do a book report. Relax, my sister is the English teacher not me.

I must warn you that I am a non-fiction reader. I don't have anything against fiction, it just isn't my cup o tea. I have been known to read text books for fun so you may want to take that into consideration before reading my recommendations.

I just finished this book.
IMG_9194


If you have ever been interested in the Nature vs. Nurture debate, you will really enjoy this book. It is a memoir written by two identical twins that were separated at birth for a research study! No, this is not Germany 1940, it was New York 1968! Crazy huh.

The twins were put up for adoption by there mother who suffered from schizophrenia and was unable to care for them. The adoption agency at that time was involved in a study looking into nature vs. nurture and was separating identical twins to study them in different environments. The adopted children and the adopting parents were never informed that there was another twin, or that the maternal mother suffered from a psysiological disorder (which is hereditary).

So if you take two people who have identical DNA and put them in two different environments will they turn out different? This book is not only interesting from a scientific point of view it is extremely intriguing from an ethical stand point as well.

The twins both turned out to be journalists so the book is very well written. They did tons of research and reference several very interesting twin studies done throughout history. In the fist several chapters the authors take you on their emotional journey finding out they are a twin and then finding there twin. I do not particularly enjoy dwelling on strangers emotions so I found the first few chapters a bit hard to wade though. Once you pass that it is really an excellent read!

Here is a link to an excerpt from the book and a video clip of the authors.


So get yourself a hot cup of coffee or tea, some miniature construction equipment, a cozy pair of PJ's and a warm blanket, now get reading! That's an order!
IMG_3499


Before I read "Identical Strangers" I read this book.
IMG_9195

I am not sure why I chose this one, I think it is because it says "Best Seller" and the quote on the front cover says, "I laughed so hard I began snorting in an unbecoming fashion". Who doesn't want to snort in an unbecoming fashion? Sign me up!

This book is cover to cover sarcasm, and while the author is very witty it becomes a bit tiring. There is no plot or story line, just a funny southern woman ranting about life. If you have any connection with the south you will probably love this book. It is well written and an easy read, if you read it you will laugh.


I am currently diving into this book.
IMG_9198

Jason says I can't seem to read a book that doesn't revolve around medicine. True, but he can't seem to read a book that isn't authored by a Navy Seal, so there.

Ever since I read "The Great Influenza" I have been interested in books about disease and it's epidemiology. After reading about the 1918 flu pandemic I began to understand why my grandparents didn't trust doctors :). The history of how we have come to our current understanding of the human body, it's functions, and diseases is very interesting.

Ok, maybe it is only interesting to me, but remember in medical school I had to read medical text books for years and dissect a human body, you don't just walk away from that with normal tastes in literature!


I find myself reading this book over and over! It is a must read!
IMG_9203

The plot is predictable, but the heroine of the story will melt your heart. "An itty-bitty mouse, pitter-pat, tip-toe, creep-crawls in the cave from the fluff-cold snow."

IMG_9205

Well, I don't want to ruin the ending so I will stop there!


This is the book I should be reading!
IMG_9200

IMG_9166

Sean is currently engrossed in the latest printing of the "Lowes Lawn Mower" flyer. Again, the plot is predictable and the cast of characters is the same as always, but Sean can't put it down!
IMG_3496


Ok, it's your turn. What have you been reading? What do you recommend?

Sarah

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bette and I read TV guide. (: and my Bible Study on Daniel. Connie

Laners said...

I've making my way thru every single book by James Rollins. I have read Black Order, Map of bones, Amazonia, and currently Excavation. 3 more to go. I REALLY enjoy books that question religion and its origins...or prove how science can back up everything from the Bible. Religion its history, secrets and all that kind of stuff AMAZES me and I can talk about it all day.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Looks like Sean is reading about lawn mowers in Spanish. Quite the talented two year old. Cindy

Anonymous said...

You read non-fiction & I devour fiction = another way we are different, yet alike - both readers. :) Alisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis, More Sex is Safer Sex. That's the name of the book I just started, good so far. I don't think some of his points take all costs into consideration, but his arguments are very well thought outreally make you think.



http://www.amazon.com/More-Sex-Safer-Unconventional-Economics/dp/1416532218/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-1854557-1819603?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192724823&sr=8-1

-Darren