Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lunch Buddy

Sean and I were eating lunch this afternoon when Sean looked out the window and said "look mama, an ant!"

IMG_8738
"Whoa, that's not an ant, that's a praying mantis!"

Well, well, well, we don't see these very often in WA. Sean and I went out to greet our lunch guest, and get a little science and nature talk in before nap time.
IMG_8739

After Sean and I looked at him, and talked about him, I decided to give him a little nudge so we could watch him in action.
IMG_8741

He swiveled his head around, looked me in the eye, and reached his raptor like arm out at me!! I screamed like a girl, grabbed my toddler and ran inside.

Not my proudest moment, but have you ever seen them swivel there heads around? It is very, very creepy.....I mean the hair on your arms will stand up! (or you will run away screaming) (come on! it took me by surprise)
IMG_8743
Then, in an attempt to not pass on any bug fears to my child, I had to laugh and tell Sean, "Oh hee hee, Mama is soooo silly!" "There is nothing to be scared of, he's a nice little (raptor armed, head swiveling) bug, hee hee."

Just look at him! He's huge!! He is at least the size of that Garbage truck, and he is definitely bigger than the friendly garbage man!
IMG_8744

Look at the head swivel!
And the pinchers on his face!
Watch out overly happy garbage man!
IMG_8746

They are carnivorous you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A praying mantis!- again I am jealous. I have actually purchsed 2 egg sacks and only one hatched and we saw one tiny mantis...never to be seen again. The tiny little head didn't freak me out, maybe because it was the size of a lego.
Alisa