Sunday, September 2, 2007

Sunday Temp update

The heat is ridiculous!!!

IMG_2666

The Subaru actually reads low when you first get in the car, so all of the pictures I am posting for you are real readings taken several min after the car has been out in the heat. I usually press the button several times to make sure it is giving a consistent reading before I break out the camera.
We decided to skip the beach today because the traffic map showed us that 1/2 of L.A. was heading to the beach too. We decided to go to the mall, which is where we found the other 1/2 of L.A.. When we were on our way to the mall the Subaru read 117 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My memory card was full, so sadly I could not capture this for you on film, or I guess you would say I could not capture it for you on my on my digital compac flash card.
Later when we left the mall I was able to delete some pictures and get the 110 for you. It really feels like an oven, my eyes were even hurting from the heat just walking from the car to the mall.

Earlier in the day during Sean's nap, I conducted a little science experiment.
Start with an innocent unsuspecting egg...
IMG_7749

Apply egg to sidewalk....oh yea, it's the ol "so hot you can fry an egg" routine, lets see if it works.
IMG_7754
After 15 min this stubborn egg would not fry, not even a slight white discoloration, nothing! Frustrated with my egg, and moving toward heat stroke myself, I decided to go back inside and wait.
IMG_7757

Since my sidewalk poultry wouldn't preform, I decided to find other kitchen characters that would. An ice cube, slice of cheese, and scoop of butter. There was also a piece of chocolate but it didn't make it to the testing field :)
IMG_7756


The ice and butter are off and running....
IMG_7758


The ice made a good effort, but the butter pulled into the lead in no time.
IMG_7759

Wow the butter is the winner, melting in 1 min!
IMG_7764

Good try ice
IMG_7760

Oh, what is this... the cheese wants to play too!
IMG_7765

Good show, cheese! Cooked in under five min.
IMG_7772

It was a close race, the ice was gone shortly after the cheese crossed the finish line.
IMG_7782


Let's check back in with the egg.....
IMG_7787
Too cool for school, huh! Party Pooper!!!!!



During this highly scientific experiment, my ever supportive husband teased me over and over. He apparently knew that the egg was not going to cook. I had to endure comments like "all you are doing is attracting rats", and "that's gross". Talk about a party pooper!! I stayed stubborn, I mean strong to the end, I knew that egg was going to do something!!!!

So here is the egg when we returned after a few hours at the mall.



It looks kinda cooked to me! I'm calling this a win!
IMG_7788

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm who is cleaning up your science experiments??